Thursday, October 12, 2006

Time for a change?

How do you know when it is time to change churches? I have been a member of my current church for 4 years. I love the feeling I get when I go there, but it is missing some of the features which I would love in a church. The various women's groups are all geared to those who are home during the day, and while there are activities for older children not as much is offered for younger children like mine...I also would love a Saturday evening service since my husband works nights and it is almost impossible for him to wake up for church on Sunday, which means we do not go as often as we should...I have been pondering this for a while now and I'm sure I won't come up with an aswer soon...I just hate to abandon a church that has been shrinking due to an aging membership, and there are some really wonderful people there...how do you know when its time to go?

3 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Maria Tafoya said...

Change is hard. And deciding when to make a change may be hardest of all. My personal indication that it's time to change is when I really hate continuing what I am doing - when showing up gives me a resentment - when even thinking about showing up makes my shoulders tight. Of course, I obviously wait too long to make necessary changes. :-)

I wonder though . . . have you asked the pastor or worship leaders about the possibility of a Saturday night service? If a weekly service isn't possible, maybe once a month would be.

Have you suggested to the women's group that it would be great to have an evening group for working moms?

And - perhaps most important of all - Are you willing to help make the changes that would encourage you to stay? Would you be willing to take some leadership role in a new women's circle, or find others who would commit to showing up for worship on Saturday evenings? Would you volunteer to be a children's group sponsor for some of the activities you'd like to see happen?

I'm not suggesting you take on responsibility for all of the things you'd like to see happen. But, speaking as the sole pastor of a fairly small congregation, new programs at my church can only happen with the help of some member(s) willing to work with me to plan and initiate the new thing.

The very cool thing about helping to make changes that would keep a family with young children - like you - is that these things will also be attractive to other similar families, and your aging shrinking congregation may start growing! And wouldn't that be a blessing?

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

changing churches is hard. Thinking of you as you do this.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger lutheranmom said...

Thank You both for your comments. I still don't know what to do. I think I will try to stick with it for a little while longer and see how it goes. I have thought about suggesting some of the changes that I mentioned, but although I would love to help out and be more involved in the church (that is exactly what I want), I'm a bit afraid that I'll end up biting off more than I can chew...and I'm a little shy too :)
At church yesterday though everyone was just so friendly and I just felt so at home that I just can leave right now. I'll just keep praying for now...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<